4 victims of FIU bridge collapse identified by police

0
754

Authorities Saturday released the names of four people who died from the collapse of a newly installed pedestrian bridge in Miami.

Three victims — Rolando Fraga Hernandez, Oswald Gonzalez and Alberto Arias — were found Saturday morning after crews removed two cars from the rubble left at the scene, Miami-Dade police said today.

The fourth identified victim, Navarro Brown, died at a hospital, police said.

Fraga Hernandez’s nephew, Jorge Fraga, had told ABC News early Saturday that he was holding out hope.

“I’m hoping. This morning I called a few hospitals around — nothing. But I’m trying not to think he isn’t there,” Fraga said.

Authorities said at a press conference late Saturday the six people who died from Thursday’s bridge collapse near Florida International University were recovered and they did not expect to find any other victims. Miami-Dade police director Juan Perez said the final two victims were recovered Saturday afternoon.

Authorities had previously said the death toll might increase as crews worked to remove more cars trapped under the rubble.

“The biggest tonnage carried today was of the families who lost someone,” Perez said.

A total of eight cars were trapped under the bridge after it crumbled, including six that were “significantly entangled,” authorities said. Two of those heavily trapped cars were removed Saturday morning and two more were removed later in the day, officials said.

Maurice Kemp, deputy mayor of Miami-Dade County, said the primary goal was to remove all victims and cars in a “dignified and respectful manner.”

He said crews worked through the night to remove the two cars this morning and will continue the effort until all victims and cars are recovered.

FIU had touted the pedestrian bridge as one of the first of its kind, tweeting that it swung into place March 10.

The cause of the collapse remains under investigation.